Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ASN1.C and Packet-ACSE.c and Packet-pres.c

From: Herbert Falk <herb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:16:03 -0400
Unfortunately, it was not clear in 0.10.3. I have 5 dissectors ready to submit based upon an extended ASN1.C. It does not appear that the BER module handles indefinite length either?

ronnie sahlberg wrote:

Hi,

ASN1.C is the old obsolete API to handle BER/DER encoded protocols.
Please do not base any new dissectors on this,

The new API for BER/DER encoded protocols is packet-ber and the
asn2eth compilers.
All new protocols should use packet-ber

one by one  all existing dissectors using ans1.c  will be converted to
packet-ber and then asn1.c will be removed