Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Help with a scoping problem

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:19:11 +0200
Palmer Thomas J Civ HQ SSG/ENEP wrote:

Hi List,

I am trying to implement a pick list for the capture filter (capture_dlg.c) and I've run into a problem.

1) I have the following functions that exist in a new file within the gtk directory (both are linked into libui.lib):

extern void  cfilter_combo_remove_from_list(gchar *s);
extern gboolean cfilter_combo_add_recent(gchar *s);

2) I add the capture filter to a GList within capture_prep_ok_cb() by calling cfilter_combo_add_recent() 3) If the filter syntax is incorrect, which is determined within capture.c, I want to call cfilter_combo_remove_from_list(cfile.cfilter) to remove the incorrect entry from the list

4) When I call cfilter_combo_remove_from_list(cfile.cfilter) from capture.c, I get the following GTK assertions:

(ethereal-capture:772): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1642 (g_o
bject_get_data): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(ethereal-capture:772): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1642 (g_o
bject_get_data): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(ethereal-capture:772): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1655 (g_o
bject_set_data): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(ethereal-capture:772): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 1642 (g_o
bject_get_data): assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

When calling cfilter_combo_remove_from_list(cfile.cfilter) from capture_dlg.c, which gets linked into libui.lib, it works fine.

The diff of the GTK directory and the new files are attached for reference. Any advice will be appreciated.

<<picklist.diff>> <<cfilter_combo_utils.c>> <<cfilter_combo_utils.h>>
                                                tjp

Well, I had a deep thought :-) of it, but didn't get an idea why you get this problem :-(

You might use a debugger (e.g. gdb, ddd or MSVC debugger) and step until the first appearances of such an assert.

I would guess that the object you're referring to (top_level) is somewhat problematic, but I really got no idea why...

Regards, ULFL