Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Where is the memory consumed ?

From: Pierre JUHEN <pierre.juhen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 21:07:32 +0200
I am looking for the way to implement an option in tethereal, that would regularly sweep the memory, when
tethereal write to a pipe.

The option woud permit to sweep the memory use by packets that are "old" (more than x seconds, typically 300/600), such a way the dissectors have a big enough "backlog" to work, ant ethereal would be able to run for a very long time,
eventually forever ?

I read the ring buffer code to find out how the memory is cleaned in that case.

Question :

   Where is the memory useb by the packets ?
      on the capture side ?
      on the wtap_dump side ?

   Behing which varaible / pointer ?

Thank you.