Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ip.addr != display filter does not work withbcasts/mcasts?

From: Alok <alokdube@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 13:12:12 +0530
Hi,

Well this helped me figure out something I was seeing in my trace which didnt make sense..
thanks!!

just out of innane curiousity

when can i ever use ip.addr!=x.y.z.w in that case??
in other words if we do have an ip.addr!= option should it not be an implicit Source Or Destination

Martin Regner wrote:

Yaniv Kaul wrote:
When trying to run:
ip.addr != 1.2.3.4
It didn't filter the packets:
1.2.3.4 -> 1.2.3.255
1.2.3.4 -> 224.2.223.232

Is that ok/known?

There are two ip.addr fields in the ip-header.

Read chapter 6.3.4  "A common mistake" in the Ethereal User guide

http://www.ethereal.com/docs/user-guide/ChWorkBuildDisplayFilterSection.html

The filter "! (ip.addr == 1.2.3.4)" is maybe want you should use
or "ip and !(ip.addr == 1.2.3.4)" (if you only want ip-packets).

Another alternative is to use "(ip.src != 1.2.3.4) and (ip.dst != 1.2.3.4)"