Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: version 0.10.6 unable to open 200MB capture file with a coupl

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
Webpro said:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:49:58 -0700 (PDT), Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Webpro said:
>> > It reaches 80%, then crashes.  No errors, just disappears from the
>> window.
>>
>> There could be a new bug in a dissector that causes it to crash when
>> dissecting certain packets.  We'd have to see a capture file where it
>> crashes (or a stack trace, although those are generally easier to get on
>> UN*X than on Windows) to try to figure out where the bug is.
>>
> So 0.10.5 crashes in the same place (87%) 0.10.4 does not.  Not sure
> what to look for though.

I don't know what to look for, either.  If you could send us a capture
file on which it crashes - or try reading it on a UN*X system with a
debugger (or, if it's an OS X system, run it *under* the debugger, as
Panther's gdb, at least, can't seem to find the right symbols when looking
at core dumps from recent versions of Ethereal), and get a stack trace
from that - it'd help.