Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Custom protocol on top of TCP. (newbie question)

From: "Kelly Byrd" <kbyrd-ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:19:38 -0700 (PDT)

> Hi,
>
> Am starting out with something similar here.
>
> For starters I have just finished off with the readme.developers but am
now stuck at at writing a simple TCP dissector.

> I tried to emulate the POP one which is already there as something
called packet-myproto.c but cant seem to get it to build. Am still
working on it..

> Would it be fine to share notes/experiences across?
>
> -thanks

Well, I just did "this" (newbie writing a dissector based on the
developer README). I found the readme really helpful, and I used
it's template as the basis for my dissector. You can email me offlist with
speciifc questions if you want. One piece of advice, you can
compile just the dissectors instead of compiling and linking the
whole thing while getting compile-time errors out of the way. It
saves a ton of time.

KB