Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] patches for MSVC build process

From: Lars Roland <Lars.Roland@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:25:22 +0200
Guy Harris schrieb:
Lars Roland wrote:

(snip)

However, unless I'm missing something, the byte-array and IPv4 bitwise AND routines will return FALSE if *any* of the bytes of the result are zero, rather than returning FALSE only if *all* of them are zero:

        p_a = a->data;
        p_b = b->data;
        while (i < b->len) {
                if (p_a[i] & p_b[i])
                        i++;
                else
                        return FALSE;
        }
        return TRUE;

I think that should be

        p_a = a->data;
        p_b = b->data;
        while (i < b->len) {
                if (p_a[i] & p_b[i])
                        return TRUE;
                else
                        i++;
        }
        return FALSE;

I think you are right, it should be fixed.

The nsis installer can show a readme file, but there is a limitation. It is necessary to use a standard file extension, e.g. ".txt". "README.win32" won't work. I didn't activate this feature, but I fixed the comment. However I do not think "README.win32" is a good readme file for a normal user. It is mainly about setting up an development environment on Windows.

That's mainly a result of the complexity of setting up that environment; the README.{platform} files are intended to cover all the issues on the platform in question, including both building Ethereal from source and running it.

We might want to split the READMEs into "user" and "developer" READMEs, for the benefit of any binary installers capable of displaying a README at the end of the installation.
 Any suggestions?
I would keep README.win32 as it is and create a user-readme.txt just for this purpose. Or show the release notes there instead of a user's readme. I think a lot of installers do so.

Regards,
Lars