Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Harsh criticism from the OpenBSD folks

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:06:08 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

> So what distinguishes a "band-aid" from a fix considered more acceptable?

They may be referring to a reactive, fix-problems-as-they-appear vs a
more proactive approach.

> But all privilege separation does is arranges that buggy code run as you
> rather than as root.  That's useful, but preventing buggy code would be
> useful as well.

How hard would it be to fork off into privileged "capture" and
non-privileged "display" processes at program startup, or create a
separate (and privileged) program specifically for captures?  Even
though it doesn't fix the larger issue of dissectors stomping all over
our memory space, it might be worth looking at.

NAI/McAfee Research has a library called "Privman" that's supposed to
make this sort of thing easier, BTW:

    http://opensource.nailabs.com/privman/

> I suspect that at least *some* of the problems might have been avoided
> with a higher-level language in which to write dissectors, with a
> translator that takes that language and generates C code that avoids
> using unsafe idioms.  Given that we have a lot of dissector
> contributions, and not a lot of time to review them, that might at least
> help.  (If the language is powerful enough, the translator might also be
> able to generate code that properly checks for null pointers in at least
> some cases.)

Were you thinking of something similar to what we currently have with
the ASN.1 and NCP generators, or something beyond that?