Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Interface not displayed in Capture->Start combobox

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 01:26:38 -0700
steve glass wrote:

| OK, no IP address, so it won't show up in SIOCGIFCONF (the primary mechanism used by libpcap on Linux if "getifaddrs()" isn't present).

Bingo! We have a winner. I was configuring the interface +promisc without bothering to set an IP address (reasoning it didn't need one) but now have it working properly.

More recent versions of Ethereal should use "pcap_findalldevs()", which, in libpcap 0.8, also reads "/proc/net/dev" on Linux so that it'll find interfaces that don't have IP addresses.