Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Any chance to get something like "decode as" forDCE-RPC inter

From: "Eric Wedel" <ewedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:29:09 -0700
Hi Ulf..

I knocked together a little patch which infers the bind type for
a few CIFS UUIDs, based on the opnum.  Have attached a version
for 0.10.6.  This approach is a horrible kludge, but it has done
the job for me for a while now.  The code at least points the way
to a correct fix, especially now that our resident UI expert
is interested.  :-)

[Had toyed with the idea of adding a GUI some months ago, but the
prospect of leaping into a totally unfamiliar area (I don't do UI
in general, and have zero experience with GTK) has kept me hobbling
along with the attached patch.]

Inside the DCERPC code, it keeps a table mapping from a
(conversation,context id) pair to an associated binding.

The code just after the patch's added switch statement in
  epan/dissectors/packet-dcerpc.c
is what makes it work.  If those key values can be obtained
from whatever context the "Decode As" dialog has available, then
it should be very simple to give the conversation a binding.

The "key" value used to look up the proper binding contains a
conversation identifier (from find_conversation()), and a context ID
which is apparently dissected out of the DCE packet (see the top of
dissect_dcerpc_cn_rqst() in packet-dcerpc.c).

Not sure how hard it would be to extract these values from the
highlighted packet.

Ideally, the "Decode As" dialog could reach in and grab the values
from the partially-dissected DCERPC packet.  Afraid I don't know
how to do that though.

I assume you're thinking of adding a new "DCERPC" tab to the
"Decode As" dialog?

regards,
Eric Wedel, Bluearc Engineering