Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] IEEE 802a

From: Bob Bell <bbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:47:45 -0400
While doing some development involving sending Ethernet frames, I noticed that Ethereal doesn't seem to have support for IEEE 802a and the associated Ethertypes. IEEE 802a specifies 0x88B5 and 0x88B6 as "Local Experimental Ethertypes" and 0x88B7 as an "OUI Extended Ethertype" (which is used in combination with an OUI and OUI-specific protocol identifier).

Assuming that it is desirable for Ethereal to be able to intelligently dissect such frames, what's preventing Ethereal from support them? Is it the lack of someone to code it? Or maybe a lack of knowledge of the spec? I'd be happy to provide the requisite knowledge about the standard to get this written up. I'd even be willing to do some coding, but I think this would probably be a pretty trivial task for someone with previous Ethereal development experience, and probably take much longer to bring myself up to speed.

--
Bob Bell <bbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>