Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal dump core when trying to decode mapi encrypted data

From: TJ Li <tiejli@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:35:23 -0700 (PDT)
It happened on linux machine.
here is "uname -a"  2.4.20-20.9 #1 Mon Aug 18 11:45:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Codes are from latest ethereal branch. I made it by myself. I attached back trace here.

To reproduce it, select Preference-> Protocol -> Mapi Decrypt MAPI PDUs, ethereal crashes
sometimes, not always, seems crash once the other time.

I also attachmented a mapi traffic here too.

What should I do when I make ethereal so that it would show real function names instead
of ?? when I backtrace core in gdb?

Also, the latest ethereal windows version seems have problem with "follow tcp stream" .

TJ

--- Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> TJ Li said:
> > Can someone fix it?
>
> Possibly, with enough information.
>
> > where do I send core file
>
> Don't send a core file - we'd only be able to use that if we had the same
> OS and same machine instruction set as you do, as well as the same
> Ethereal binary.
>
> Instead, use a debugger such as gdb or dbx (I'm assuming from "core file"
> that you're on a UN*X rather than Windows) to try to get a stack trace,
> and send that.
>
> > and reproduce information?
>
> That information would probably need to include the capture file.  (Not
> everybody has a network with MAPI traffic on it.)
>
> It should be sent to ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
[tli@deboom ethereal]$ gdb ethereal core.3920
GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (5.3post-0.20021129.18rh)
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"..."/usr/home/nfs/tli/work/riverbed/ethereal-latest/ethereal/ethereal": not in executable format: File format not recognized

Core was generated by `lt-ethereal'.
#0  0x4020a7fb in ?? ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x4020a7fb in ?? ()
#1  0x4020ac55 in ?? ()
#2  0x40233b0e in ?? ()
#3  0x40234fa2 in ?? ()
#4  0x4023522b in ?? ()
#5  0x4023630c in ?? ()
#6  0x4023657f in ?? ()
#7  0x402365a2 in ?? ()
#8  0x4017a965 in ?? ()
#9  0x403fb218 in ?? ()
#10 0x403fb3c1 in ?? ()
#11 0x403fb526 in ?? ()
#12 0x403fbf8d in ?? ()
#13 0x401796db in ?? ()
#14 0x40179a11 in ?? ()
#15 0x40179dde in ?? ()
#16 0x402d2eb5 in ?? ()
#17 0x401796db in ?? ()
#18 0x40179a11 in ?? ()
#19 0x40179dde in ?? ()
#20 0x402526da in ?? ()
#21 0x40251cc4 in ?? ()
#22 0x4025209a in ?? ()
#23 0x401796db in ?? ()
#24 0x40179a11 in ?? ()
#25 0x40179dde in ?? ()
#26 0x4026adf3 in ?? ()
#27 0x401796db in ?? ()
#28 0x40179a11 in ?? ()
#29 0x4017ae18 in ?? ()
#30 0x4017967a in ?? ()
#31 0x401776f7 in ?? ()
#32 0x08063c06 in ?? ()
#33 0x0807325c in ?? ()
#34 0x40a54942 in ?? ()
#35 0x40cf7ed7 in ?? ()
#36 0x40d0a983 in ?? ()
#37 0x40d099a8 in ?? ()
#38 0x40a96bcf in ?? ()
#39 0x409ded0d in ?? ()
#40 0x08073ed9 in ?? ()
#41 0x08063a53 in ?? ()
#42 0x0807a134 in ?? ()
#43 0x08097199 in ?? ()
#44 0x080980e8 in ?? ()
#45 0x08075d18 in ?? ()
#46 0x08075f53 in ?? ()
#47 0x40d0ad77 in ?? ()
#48 0x40cf7ed7 in ?? ()
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
#49 0x40d0a983 in ?? ()
#50 0x40d099a8 in ?? ()
#51 0x40d09be4 in ?? ()
#52 0x409c7acb in ?? ()