Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] ethereal 0.10.6 -Pre - -rpath Option disturbs on HP-UX

From: "Falk Hayn" <Falk.Hayn@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:07:10 +0200 (MEST)
Dear Albert Chin,

regarding Your questions, pls. find the following feedback

> the libtool -rpath option lets the build stop on HP-UX

Q.:  What errors are you getting?
A.: There is a -R/usr/local/lib  in the linker statement line, which creates
the problem

This is the original error message:   (look for the  -R/usr/local/lib  )
.... most of all omitted....
.libs/libethereal.lax/libdissectors.al/packet-ypserv.lo
.libs/libethereal.lax/libdissectors.al/packet-ypxfr.lo
.libs/libethereal.lax/libdissectors.al/packet-zebra.lo
.libs/libethereal.lax/libdissectors.al/packet-dcerpc-nt.lo
-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libgmodule-2.0.sl
/usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.sl /usr/local/lib/libintl.sl
/usr/local/lib/libiconv.sl -lc -lm /usr/local/lib/libpcre.sl -lz -lc
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Invalid numeric argument for -R/usr/local/lib
make[1]: *** [libethereal.la] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/ethereal/ethereal-0.10.6/epan'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

For the HP-UX linker, the -R statement says
HP-UX 11.00 man page:
-R offset   Set the origin (in hexadecimal) for the text
            i.e., code) segment.

-R is a Solaris linker rwlated option, perhaps GNU ld too ?

Solaris 9 man page says:
 -R path    A colon-separated list of directories used to  specify
            library  search  directories to the runtime linker. If
            present and not NULL, it is  recorded  in  the  output
            object file and passed to the runtime linker. Multiple
            instances of this  option  are  concatenated  together
            with each path separated by a colon.

Q.:
> The ld of HP-UX uses the -R option for othe rpurpoeses and
> therefore can not link the libs.

Huh? HP's ld uses +b. ANyway, you misunderstand libtool's -rpath
option. The -rpath option to libtool specifies the final directory
where the library will be installed to. It really is a poor name but
don't mistake it for the runtime directory flag to the linker.

A.: Yes, Your are right, I did not drill into the details.
However, I was happy to find the right statement in the right Makfile
to find a workaround to let the build proceed.

Pls. let me know what You think about.

--
Do not hesitate to contact me, if You have further questions
using falk.hayn (at) gmx.de

With kind regards
Falk Hayn

NEU: WLAN-Router f�r 0,- EUR* - auch f�r DSL-Wechsler!
GMX DSL = superg�nstig & kabellos http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl