Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] TDS dissector - any idea why it's not dissectingTCP/1433 by d

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 17:25:35 +0200
From: Yaniv Kaul

[snip]

| <rant>
| Of course, I can't compile Ethereal and change it for myself on my
| Windows machine.
| In fact, I can't remember when was the last time I could...
| Right now the problem is:
| NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make 'adler32.obj'

Ahhhh... join the club :-/ You almost certainly have an adler32.obj
file residing in the now incorrect directory. Note that some files
were recently moved in the SVN repository.

There is a work-around, it requires you to do a nmake distclean and
then manually get rid of stale .obj files in your source tree (there
are some known issues with NMAKE where some versions can only build
object files in the object's source directory). Last week some fixes
have been checked in.

| I wonder if we could add to the check-in process a successful
| compilation test, and reject check-ins that fail it
| </rant>

I fear that'd be difficult to achieve. A full and clean successful
remake can't be achieved in less than 30 minutes, AFAIK. Waithing for
30 minutes to commit a change to the repository is not a good thing.

My suggestion is to inform the ethereal-dev community when files have
been moved, so thay first clean their build environment prior to doing
a SVN update.

Best regards,

Olivier