Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Tethereal - maximum number of files in the ring buffer

From: Kletshevsky Rami <Rami.Kletshevsky@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:21:09 +0300
Title: Tethereal - maximum number of files in the ring buffer

Hi,

I use the ring buffer for long term capturing (Tethereal). Data from the last 7 days should be saved.
The maximum data rate is about 15Mbps. I need to capture average of 8-10 hours a day at high traffic. I have few disks in a raid for data captured. Volume size is about 400GigaByte.

As long as the traffic rate is at lower rates, there is no problem. I create a new capture file every 10 or 15 minutes.
In case traffic is at maximum rate, files get rather big fast (~100MByte/Min). I want to keep the files at no more that 100-200MByte. This requires that I have more than 1024 files in the ring buffer.

Questions: How can I have more than 1024 files in the ring buffer?

Thanks,
Rami