Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] commit 11545: /trunk/gtk/

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:00:31 +0200
Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 28.07.04 09:40:22:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:28:40AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> > The print dialog on windows not only shows the printers name.
> >
> > It will show information about the printer (like the place where it is),
> > which is very useful when having multiple printers available.
>
> As long as that information can be fetched using print APIs, those could
> be showed in an all-GTK+ dialog as well.

Of course. I'm not really an expert in the Win32 print API, but I think there is no such API to get that information :-(

> > It also provides advanced print options (like using a duplex printing if
> > the printer supports that).
>
> The same applies there - and some other print APIs that Ethereal could
> use if present (OS X print APIs, CUPS print APIs, gnome-print if a
> GNOMEified Ethereal is being built) might have them as well.
>
> > These are valuable informations/options when printing, which will be
> > hard or even impossible to implement in GTK.
>
> "Hard to implement in GTK+", as in "the GUI widgets are inadequate to
> display that information" or "hard to implement without just using the
> Win32 print dialog", as in "the routines that the Win32 print dialog
> code uses to get that information aren't APIs, they're internal
> interfaces"?

Well, it's more of a point getting the information to be displayed.

AFAIK, the typical way is to extend the common print dialog, which already includes the features I've described.

The only thing I wanted to state is the explanation in the source file isn't the whole story.

If someone does find a way to get the win32 native information from a Win32 API somehow, I would be happy to get rid of the "two stage" print process.

I just want to avoid removing valuable printer information from the current Ethereal printing mechanism, by implementing a native GTK one, only showing the printer name (which is not enough, at least for me).

Aufnehmen, abschicken, nah sein - So einfach ist
WEB.DE Video-Mail: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021200