Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] PATCH - Allow editcap to report # of packets infile

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
Ian Schorr said:
> Is there anything else in particular that you'd like this tool to do?

Most if not all of what Statistics -> Summary does in Ethereal?

> I'm envisioning a read-only utility that would allow reporting of:
>
> - file size (in bytes)

That's in Statistics -> Summary.

> - file size (in # of packets)

That's in there, both captured and displayed - presumably no filtering
would be done by capinfo, so it'd display only one value.

> - capture type

I.e., the type of file?  That's in Statistics -> Summary.

> - encapsulation type

That's not in Statistics -> Summary, although perhaps it should be
(although "encapsulation type" and "type of device on which the capture
was done" are not 100% correlated, although the correlation is strong).

> - timestamp of first packet
> - timestamp of last packet
> - capture duration

Those are all in there.

> Anything else?

The other things Statistics -> Summary shows are:

    snapshot length of the capture;

    average packets/second;

    average packet size (based purely, I think, on the packet length from
the file);

    average bytes/second;

    average MBit/second.