Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Build options for Win32 distribution and performance

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 08:12:38 +0200
Ian Schorr wrote:

Hi,

I noticed last night that by default we have debugging enabled for both the MS compiler and linker in config.nmake. Do these remain on when creating the Win32 distribution/installer?

If not, is there any reason to leave them on? The debug symbols are slightly useful, but the distribution doesn't include the .PDBs anyway.

Doing some simple testing, including debug info generated code that was about 10-15% slower when processing/reprocessing packets, so I do think there's merit to leaving them out.

Ian

I would prefer to have an option in the config.nmake to enable/disable it.

When debugging, I need this option.

But as you noticed, we don't distribute the PDBs. So we might want to use the release version for distribution.

However, I frequently get very annoying problems with release versions, as they have different timings, and therefore get new problems that the debug versions don't have (or at least don't appear to have).

So we have to test both versions in that case :-(

Regards, ULFL