Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] adding a plugin to ethereal

From: "Enrico Budianto" <ebudian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 03:49:12 -0500
Hi..
I'm new this mailing list and I need to add a new dissector to ethereal for a project. I was suggested to do it as a plugin. I'm using MSVC++ version 6 to compile the dissector and I'm having problem with it. Maybe someone that has done this can give me some pointers.
A few questions:
1. Do I need to include plugin_api.c in my source file?
I keep getting this error when I include the file:
plugin_api.c(36) : error C2449: found '{' at file scope (missing function header?)
plugin_api.c(40) : error C2059: syntax error : '}'

If I dont include it, I see this error:
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _proto_tree_add_text     etc.

2. Do I need to define PLUGINS_NEED_ADDRESS_TABLE?

3. What do I need to do with those files generated by Python (Xplugin.... files)?
This might be related to question 1 above.

Is there a guideline as how to write and compile a plugin using MSVC++?
I've been following the readme.plugins and some other readme files, but unfortunately, it ends up at the same point. Maybe I'm missing something.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help.

Thanks...

Enrico

Don�t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/