Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Capture interface list dialog in menu "Capture/Interfaces..."

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:42:53 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:11:46AM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
But how to handle the IP addresses outside of your "own networks", meaning behind a router?

traceroute/tracert is your friend. :-)

If we could ask the IP stack "if I were to send a packet to address
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX, in some other
fashion than using traceroute/tracert or doing the same thing it does,
and using that to get the IP address of the first hop, what interface
would you send it out", that'd be ideal, but I'm not sure that's doable
on any OSes.  We could fetch the routing table on some OSes, and make
the routing decision ourselves, but that's a bit of work.
Well, the interface we would send a packets to, is not necessarily the interface we receive packets from.

Especially at the time, when the router changes it's mind about the route.

Although it's a good hint, it might not be the right thing under any circumstances.

As I would think of Ethereal as a measuring tool, I would like accuracy for the features it provides.

Regards, ULFL