Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] r11396 - trunk/gtk: trunk/gtk/Makefile.com

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 14:29:51 -0700
On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:47:35PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
> But I don't even know, if the winpcap/libpcap libraries will report that
> IPv6 addresses, so I don't know if it will be possible at all.
> *If* reporting IPv6 addresses is supported by these libraries, it would
> be easy to implement.

If you're using the address list from "pcap_findalldevs()", then, at
least on some platforms, you will get IPv6 addresses (and if there are
platforms on which you don't, that's a bug).

It should work on:

	the BSDs;

	Linux distributions with "getifaddrs()";

	*possibly* Linux distributions without "getifaddrs()";

	Solaris;

	at least some Win32 systems;

and possibly others.  (I no longer have access to as many different
OSes, and don't remember whethere I tried AIX or Digital UNIX systems
with IPv6 addresses.)