Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Capture interface list dialog in menu "Capture/Interfaces..."

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 16:34:13 +0200
Hi List!

I've just checked in a new dialog showing the current state of the known capture interfaces.

I'm usually working with a notebook (with several optional network "interface cards", like USB adapters), and I find it sometimes hard to find the correct interface.

So I often do the following:
- Start Ethereal, start a capture, start the test case, but get no input packets :-( - stop capturing, recognized that I've chosen the wrong interface, change interface, start capture again, restart test case, but still no input packets :-(
- recognize that the network cable not attached, ...

because of this problems, I was looking for a way to make life easier.

So I started to implement a dialog box (window) showing the required informations, to clarify which interfaces are "living", meaning which interface currently receive packets.

This dialog contains a list of:

- the known interfaces: devicename (unix) *or*  description (win32)
- the IP address (only one, for space reasons)
- the currently received number of packets (both summarized from the starting of the dialog and of the last second gone) - buttons to immediately start a capture and prepare the capture options dialog

It also contains a button to stop a currently running capture.

It looks a bit similar to the Edit interfaces dialog in Preferences/Capture. Maybe it would be an idea to combine the dialog/implementation.

You might call it a proof of concept, as a lot of things are left to do (code cleanup, using a GtkCList instead of a GtkTable...). Currently the dialog will *not* update the list of interfaces, so if you remove an interface or change it's IP address, the dialog info will not change...

I'm planning to will improve the dialog in the future to make it look more fancy.

I've tested this on winXP and SuSE9.1 and it worked fine. As I'm using standard pcap features, this should work on all supported platforms.

Please report any problems,

Regards, ULFL