Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Subversion update

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:18:12 -0500
Martin Mathieson wrote:

> Gerald,
>
> Would it be possible/desirable to run svnserve on the Subversion server?
> I've no idea how much work this would be or what the security issues might
> be, but I note Samba provides svn:// access to its repository.
>
> Would this help many more people get direct access?  The freebie windows
> proxy I use on my home network can't be persuaded to support the HTTP
> methods needed.  With svnserve I presume I presume I'd just need to set up a
> mapped link and open the outgoing port on my firewall (as I've done for CVS
> access).

The whole point of using the HTTP access method was to give more people
direct access.  Some developers can't access the anonymous CVS
repository due to outbound access controls on their networks.  It was
hoped that HTTP access would solve this problem since it's hard to find
a network that doesn't allow outbound HTTP connections.

I'll see if svn:// access can be added.