Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Further issue in 0.10.5 - part III

From: "Stuart MacDonald" <stuartm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:18:23 -0400
Ethereal: 0.10.5
Interface: GTK2
OS: Windows XP

These are new in 0.10.5 to my knowledge.

Bug #13: Filter dialog is broken
Severity: Medium
Effect: User confusion, possible loss of data, workaround available
Steps to Reproduce:
- bring up the Open Capture File dialog
- enter a string in the Filter: field (I used *.cgi)
- the field is red, so attempt to correct filter by hitting the
  Filter: button to help you construct an expression
- notice that once the Read Filter dialog is up, *nothing works*
  except for the Windows Minimise, Maximise and Restore operations
Notes:
The dialog will close if you go back to the Open File Dialog and hit
Cancel, but for a minute it looked like Ethereal was locked, and I'd
have to kill the app. This would result in loss of data for some users
if they made the same assumption and weren't as patient in trying to
figure a way out.

As an aside; what is the point of that filter? I though you'd type in
a regex and it would apply that to the file list widget, but it's not
clear to me this is the actual intended purpose.

..Stu