Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SS7 ISUP

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:30:21 -0700 (PDT)
Michael Tuexen said:
> I did not know that this is the file format used by capture software
> which comes with the cards Dimitar is talking about.

If those In^H^HSeptel cards have software that captures traffic and writes
it to a file, if Dimitar's willing to live with Ethereal not *itself*
being able to capture traffic from the cards, it might be possible to add
support for those capture files to Ethereal's Wiretap library.  We'd need
either

    1) a specification for the capture file format, plus at least one
capture with which to test the support

or

    2) at least one capture file *plus* something indicating what the
contents of the file are (for example, if the cards come with software
to read those captures and show the packets, complete with any time
stamp or other information in the file in addition to the raw packet
data), for reverse-engineering purposes

in order to add that support.

To make Ethereal, or other libpcap-based programs, capable of capturing
packets themselves, support for that would have to be added to libpcap,
and the captures written using the appropriate SS7 network type value.