Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SS7 ISUP

From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:06:48 -0400
Michael,

Do you get some software with the SS7 card which allows
you to capture traffic and write it to a disk file. We
could add support for reading such files to ethereal.

In fact the PCAP file format already supports storing MTP2 or MTP3 directly (LINKTYPE_RAWSS7_MTP2 and LINKTYPE_RAWSS7_MTP3 for libpcap users or WTAP_ENCAP_MTP2 and LINKTYPE_ENCAP_MTP3 for wiretap users).
I did not know that this is the file format used by capture software
which comes with the cards Dimitar is talking about.
Ah, sorry--I misunderstood your point.  I thought you were asking if
such software could be written (not if such software came with the
card).  I meant that if one had to write such software, it would be easy
to use the PCAP file format.
Hopefully I'll get more sleep tommorrow night ;-).