Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SS7 ISUP

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff_morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:20:41 -0400

Michael and Dimitar,

Michael Tuexen wrote:

[...]

The other stuff which needs to be done is the sniffing
support. There you need to extend the libpcap to work
with the SS7 card. I have no idea how difficult this might
be, but it would definitely be great. Possibly someone
else on the list can provide more help on this topic?

Do you get some software with the SS7 card which allows
you to capture traffic and write it to a disk file. We
could add support for reading such files to ethereal.

In fact the PCAP file format already supports storing MTP2 or MTP3 directly (LINKTYPE_RAWSS7_MTP2 and LINKTYPE_RAWSS7_MTP3 for libpcap users or WTAP_ENCAP_MTP2 and LINKTYPE_ENCAP_MTP3 for wiretap users).

So all that's really necessary to do the 2nd case above is to somehow write the MSUs to a PCAP file on disk--Ethereal is already capable of reading that file.

Regards,
-Jeff