Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Conversation/Endpoint list performance patch

From: "Ulf Lamping" <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:01:18 +0200
Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 14.07.04 02:48:06:

> > I've checked in your changes.
>
> Right as you checked this in I'd just built new patches that I believe
> are more efficient.  I'm just getting around to sending them in =)

Well, that happens sometimes.

> It bothered me that the address fields were being written to with 2
> additional gtk_clist_set_text calls *per entry* in the list during each
> draw update (every 3 seconds), and that there were a huge number of
> updates being drawn that didn't need to be (I think it only makes sense
> to update periodically, at the tap draw refresh every 3 seconds).

I implemented the name resolvings in these statistics some time ago, but didn't had performance in mind (so blame it on me :-)

> Hopefully these new patches solve all of these things.  They're diffed
> against the current version of the files in CVS.

Did you keep in mind, that the address resolvings might change data being displayed? Is this done by the 3 seconds update?

> > However, when I'm using statistics for longer capture files, Ethereal
> > crashes reproducible on my Win32 machine.
>
> Before the patches, after the patches, or both?

It crashed a long time before, and still afterwards. This is not related to your patches.

WEB.DE Video-Mail - Sagen Sie mehr mit bewegten Bildern
Informationen unter: http://freemail.web.de/?mc=021199