Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] SS7 ISUP

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:02:37 +0200
Dimitar,

ethereal already supports MTP2/MTP3/ISUP so there is almost
everything in the ethereal. Possibly we would need an MTP1
dissector. Except for zero bit deletion this should be
simple. But if the card does this in hardware and delivers
SUs it would be simple to write an MTP1 dissector. I could
do that. This is all about dissecting which is done in
ethereal.

The other stuff which needs to be done is the sniffing
support. There you need to extend the libpcap to work
with the SS7 card. I have no idea how difficult this might
be, but it would definitely be great. Possibly someone
else on the list can provide more help on this topic?

Do you get some software with the SS7 card which allows
you to capture traffic and write it to a disk file. We
could add support for reading such files to ethereal.

Best regards
Michael