Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Conversation/Endpoint list performance patch

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:18:53 +0200
Ian Schorr wrote:

Hi all,

Attached are a couple of simple patches that should improve performance of the Conversation List and Endpoint List features tremendously.

In my testing I saw about 2x to over 500x improvement.

We were able to get away with the lists the way they were in GTK-1.x, but in GTK-2.x the features are nearly unusable with captures containing moderately large numbers of conversations/hosts. These patches should improve performance in both, though.

There's quite a bit more optimization that can be done, I just figured I'd hit the lowest-hanging fruit first.

Well, that sound reasonable.

I've checked in your changes.

However, when I'm using statistics for longer capture files, Ethereal crashes reproducible on my Win32 machine.

Regards, ULFL