Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] problems compiling dissector with new etherealversion

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 07:33:55 +0200
Martin Regner wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:41:38AM +0200, findeisen.lutz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm  currently working on a dissector t o analyze MPEG2 I started with
ethereal version 0.9.16 and everything worked perfect, now I want to
change to the newest version but it doesn't work after compiling  and
starting the program aborts with this message:
** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 2565 (proto_register_field_init):
assertion failed: (isalnum(c) || c == '-' || c == '_' || c == '.')
aborting...

Wouldn't it sometimes be better to combine (or replace) some ASSERT statements with g_warning printouts that
contains more detail about what is wrong?

e.g. something like

** ERROR **: fieldname 'isdn callref' is not a valid fieldname
** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 2565 (proto_register_field_init):  assertion failed: (isalnum(c) || c == '-' || c == '_'
|| c == '.')
I would really appreciate this, as it speeds up development and should be somewhat easy to do.

Regards, ULFL