Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] problems compiling dissector with new ethereal version

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:49:19 -0700
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:41:38AM +0200, findeisen.lutz@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm  currently working on a dissector t o analyze MPEG2 I started with
> ethereal version 0.9.16 and everything worked perfect, now I want to
> change to the newest version but it doesn't work after compiling  and
> starting the program aborts with this message:
> ** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 2565 (proto_register_field_init):
> assertion failed: (isalnum(c) || c == '-' || c == '_' || c == '.')
> aborting...
> Aborted
> (I did not change a line in the source code)
> what could cause the problem?

A field with a name that has characters it it other than alphanumerics,
hyphens, underscores, and periods?

Try fixing the field name not to have any such characters (for example,
don't put any spaces into it - if you want to separate words, use an
underscore; fields with spaces in the name don't work well in filter
expressions).