Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] problems compiling dissector with new etherealversion

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:30:22 +0200
From: Lutz Findeisen

| Hello,
|
| I'm  currently working on a dissector t o analyze MPEG2 I started
with
| ethereal version 0.9.16 and everything worked perfect, now I want to
| change to the newest version but it doesn't work after compiling
and
| starting the program aborts with this message:
| ** ERROR **: file proto.c: line 2565 (proto_register_field_init):
| assertion failed: (isalnum(c) || c == '-' || c == '_' || c == '.')
| aborting...
| Aborted
| (I did not change a line in the source code)
| what could cause the problem?

This means that there is at least one protocol dissector or protocol
field having an invalid character in the "display filter" name. The
former can be spotted in a proto_register_protocol() call, the latter
is the 2nd field in an entry in the hf_register_info array in the
proto_register_PROTO() call of the PROTO dissector (replace PROTO with
the name of your dissector).

Regards,

Olivier