Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] More Window selection silliness with 0.10.5?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:07:01 +0200
Ian Schorr wrote:

In the latest of the window selection silliness, some behavior seems to have reverted in the distributed Win32 0.10.5.

When generating statistics windows (SRT, conversation list, etc), the main ethereal window is brought to the foreground (I'm assuming because the progress dialog is created and is somehow "tied" to the main window). The new statistics window is left hidden behind and must be selected by the user manually.

Yes, that's annoying.

This seemed like a problem in earlier versions (with some workarounds that didn't seem to work very well), but seemed to work great with 0.10.4.

That was because the statistic windows were designed as child windows of the main window, which caused other undesired behaviour (e.g. the statistics window can't kept open independant from the main window).

Is this a Win32 GTK 2.4 thing?

Not directly, see below!

It definitely doesn't happen with GTK1.3.

That's true, as there wasn't a problem regarding this (AFAIK).

This has also happened to me for a VERY long time with GTK 1.2.10, 2.2.4, 2.0.x with OS X, where it's especially annoying (buried X11 windows are a bit more of a pain to find).

I can imagine.

Well, that was a workaround for a bug in the GTK2.x libraries (unsure if this was a bug in the GTK2.0 or GTK2.2 versions), which seems to be fixed in the current GTK2.4 release. I'm unsure if this is a Win32 thing only.

I've checked in a fix for the workaround!!!, which doesn't bring the top_level window back to top, when compiling on GTK2.4

This is really annoying, I need some holiday (or at least some sunny weather, to take my notebook outside ;-)

Regards, ULFL