Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] Two further issues in 0.10.5

From: "Stuart MacDonald" <stuartm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:33:35 -0400
From: ethereal-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx On Behalf Of Ulf Lamping
> Stuart MacDonald wrote:
> >Bug #11: Start capture dialog sometimes not centered.
> >Severity: Low
> >Effect: User annoyance, workaround available
> >Steps to Reproduce:
> >- start Ethereal
> >- ctrl-k to bring up the Start Capture dialog
> >- notice that occassionally the dialogue is partially off screen
> >- notice that when starting the capture, the Stats dialog correctly
> >  places itself in relative terms to the Start dialog, which is also
> >  partially off screen
> >
> Well, that's not a bug, but intentional. A new dialog window will be
> opened at the current mouse position, not at the middle of the screen
> (like before). This might result in a partially hidden/shown dialog.
>
> This will reduce "mouse travelling" on large screens a lot.

Ah. Interesting. Now that I know that the behaviour is sensical.

May I suggest that the dialogs be repositioned ever so slightly as to
not be off-screen? Off-screen means having to grab the dialog, drag it
until it's full-view and then hit the buttons. Which is more mousing,
not less.

> >Bug #12: Closing a minimised Ethereal doesn't work properly
> >Severity: Unknown
> >Effect: Error dialogue pops up, but otherwise everything
> seems to work
> >        fine.
> >Steps to Reproduce:
> >- turn on "Asked for unsaved buffers" option
> >- capture some packets
> >- minimise the main window
> >- right-click the taskbar button and select close
> >- notice the error box that pops up
> >
> Asking for the unsaved capture file requires that the main
> window isn't
> minimized (GTK2 only).
> In order to prevent that, I have added a call to present the
> main window
> in that case, as this sounds resonable.

Agreed.

I'll ask that the dialog be popped up only, with the main window
remaining as is. Although this is one of those GTK issues that will be
saved for later. Also, the main window would have to remain
manipulatable, as the dialog might pop up, and then you need to see
the capture before making the decision.

> Checked it into CVS.

Cool.

..Stu