Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Bugs in 0.10.5

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:20:19 +0200
Stuart MacDonald wrote:

<>
Bug #5: Toolbar Buttons Sometimes Unresponsive
problem in GTK toolkit

Bug #6: Canceling a Parse Crashes Ethereal
cannot be reproduced by me

Bug #7: Graphical Corruption
problem in GTK toolkit

Bug #9: Drop Down List Displayed Incorrectly
problem in GTK toolkit

Bug #10: Edit preferences bug crashes Ethereal
checked in a bugfix in CVS

Bug #1 is fixed, thanks. Now when the "click Ok" step happens, the
main Ethereal window maximises, and the Capture Stats dialog displays.
Is it possible to get the Capture Stats dialog to display normally
while leaving the main window minimised? Also, hitting Stop causes the
main window to maximise. Could it be left as is?

No. We use gtk_window_present to bring up a window when it has to. This is the recommended way for GTK/GNOME, and it should be done in the cases you describe.
BTW: This is really a question of personal like/dislike.

<>Bug #2 seems to be fixed, thanks. However, Ethereal is still using MAC
style context menu processing. The right-click menu pops up as soon as
the right down-click happens. Standard windows behaviour is to wait
until the following right up-click happens before displaying the menu.

I've tried to change it, but with the current event handling this seems to be *very* hard.
BTW: I don't have a problem with the current behaviour.

As desribe earlier, the problems in the GTK toolkit can't be changed by us, so don't expect any changes soon on this.

Regards, ULFL