Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] 0.10.4 & 0.10.5 Compile failure on Fedora Core 2

From: Craig Bumpstead <cbumpste@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:41:36 +1000 (EST)
Noah,

Thanks for that. It compiles now.

Cheers,
Craig

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:00:44AM +1000, Craig
Bumpstead wrote:

> epan/.libs/libethereal.so /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so
-lelf

> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lelf

Your installation of Net-SNMP depends on libelf.  You
probably run Redhat;
libelf is part of Ulrich Drepper's elfutils.  On my
Fedora Core 1 system:

$ net-snmp-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -lnetsnmp -lcrypto -lelf -lm

> Is this an issue with ld? or the lack of something
> with my system?

Install the elfutils-devel RPM; the name may be
slightly different on non-Redhat
distributions.  If in fact you are not even using a
binary package distribution
of GNU/Linux, then please indicate the platform you
are using.

You could instead ./configure --without-net-snmp
--without-ucd-snmp and not
install elfutils-devel.

> Can I provide/do anything else to help solve this
> problem?
> Is it looking for the elf (*.a) library's?

It is looking for libelf.a and/or libelf.so.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com