Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Problems in compiling 0.10.5 on Windows

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:07:50 -0700 (PDT)
Ulf Lamping said:
> It might be a good idea to supply the error messages to make your
> problems understandable, as always :-(

I suspect the error message complains that <unistd.h> doesn't exist.

This is a problem that's happened in the past.

>> However, the
>> files can be generated from the corresponding *.l files and
>
> I don't think that .l files will be generated by a typical MSVC
> environment.

Presumably you mean "...will be run through Flex in a typical MSVC
environment".

>> So why are the two .c files included in the tarball?
>
> It may compile in your specific environment...

...if your specific environment is a UN*X.  Unfortunately, to get versions
of those files that compile in an MSVC++ environment, you may have to run
the ".l" files through a Windows-ified version of Flex.

The files are included because there might be UN*X environments that have
a C compiler capable of compiling Ethereal but that don't have Flex
(consider one of the commercial UN*Xes that come with an
AT&T^H^H^H^HNovell^H^H^H^H^H^HSCO-derived lex rather than with Flex;
unless somebody's installed Flex on the machine, it won't be possible to
turn the ".l" files into ".c" files).