Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Fibre Channel decoding question

From: "Rydeen, Mike" <mrydeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:58:04 -0400
I posted this to the users mailing list originally, but believe that it should have been posted to this group instead...

Hopefully this will be a quick question/answer, but you never know.  Looking through the Ethereal supported protocols it appears that you support a large part of the Fibre Channel standard protocols (FC, FC-dns, FC-FCS, etc).  After decoding the libpcap file format, I was able to create a supported Ethereal file out of a series of raw Fibre Channel frames.  Currently I am using the IP over FC (122 - 0x7a) as my link layer type, but it appears that this LL does not decode the Common Transport layer, it is only looking for the payload IP contents from the Network Header, SNAP and down the list.

Looking through the libpcap/tcpdump code I did not really see any other LL type.  If there is not a supported type, how will Ethereal know how to decode the file?  Is there a different file type that Ethereal is looking for?  Or is this a "in the works" item?

I hope that was clear.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Michael Rydeen