Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Libethereal version

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 16:55:52 +0200
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 11:02:18AM +0200, Tomas Kukosa wrote:
> >Just an idea: Why use a version number? Maybe a hash over the generated
> >exported apis would be more useful.
>
> With the version number the plugin can check or exact version number or
> it can peform test for "version x.x.x or higher" or whatever else is
> necessary.

The "or higher" semantics is useless. Every so often things change in an
incompatible way which breaks older *and* newer plugins. So the idea with
the hash value was to automate the changing of the version string, as
in fact the hash value is some sort of version string for exactly this
collection of api calls. It's just not monotonely increasing.

 Ciao
    Joerg