Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal/plugins plugin_api_li

From: Noah Misch <noah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 00:47:52 -0700
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 08:13:33AM +0200, Tomas Kukosa wrote:
> Noah Misch wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:59:14AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> >>Are we ready to build libethereal.dll, and install it, on Windows, and get
> >>rid of the plugin API table stuff, so that we only have to update
> >>epan/libethereal.def when a new function has to be exported to plugins?
> >

> >That would work for me.
> >
> >If removing the plugin API table is the goal, one could also just export
> >the
> >required symbols from ethereal.exe.
>
> Which plugin needs which symbol from the ethereal.exe?

Under the standard Windows build process, ethereal.exe and tethereal.exe define
the core epan functions (e.g. proto_register_protocol).

I know of no reason why mandating use of libethereal.dll on Windows would be
undesirable; it saves disk space and memory, and it should make for a smaller
installer.  If there is a disadvantage, though, we can still eliminate the
plugin API by exporting the proper symbols from the EXEs instead of passing
their addresses to plugins using a pointer table.