Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] I've updated the "Ethereal User's Guide"

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:53:34 +0200
Hi List!

Again, sending this to the dev list, as the doc list seems to be dead!

The Ethereal User's Guide wasn't updated for more than two years right now and I've changed lot's of things in the Ethereal GUI code since then, so the guide is pretty outdated.

After more than a week of *very hard* work (I don't like writing documentation), I've finished a reviewable state of an updated Ethereal User's Guide!

Following are the steps I've done so far and why I did them:

-converted the existing user guide from Docbook/SGML to Docbook/XML (by hand) As the XML variant of docbook is becoming state of the art since the last editing of the guide. I've done this by hand (took about an hour), as the conversion tools I've found didn't do a great job, they tumbled the identing around.

-renewed *all* screenshot, using win32 GTK2.4 with png as the file format
the screenshots were outdated. png is smaller and provides better quality than jpg for screenhots, gif is still patented. All modern browsers should work with png (except lynx ;-)

-updated the content, as far as my knowledge goes (missing some things like the Unix specific parts and filter string syntax)
Well, it was the time to do it.

-restructured the content to improve understanding and readability
The structure of the guide was a bit unhappy IMHO, I tried to change it to a better understandable structure, again IMHO.

However, there are still left some minor things, which needs some clarification/update and of course the document has to be reviewed.

I'm currently thinking about where the files should reside in CVS, because:
-as *all* filenames changed (.sgml to .xml and .jpg to .png) compared to the current ethereal-doc, it doesn't matter to put it to a different place than before -in the mid-term, I'm thinking about including the user-guide into Ethereal as the online help, replacing the very crude current online help system I've introduced some time ago

What about checking the files into the main Ethereal CVS tree? It might be an idea to put them into the help dir of the program, so we can remove the currently existing files in that dir later, when we have on online help system based on HTML.

What do others think?

Regards, ULFL