Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Option to hide the "Capture Info" dialog while capturing

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:51:21 +0200
Hi List!

I've added an often requested feature, to "avoid" the capture info dialog completely while capturing. This will not show the capture info dialog in "update of list in real time" (sync_mode) only. It will have no effect in normal mode as it would remove the possibility to stop the running capture :-)

To do this, I had to add a new command line option "-H" to hide the dialog, which raises some questions:

- is the char 'H' a good choice for this?
I had to choose a character for this, and used 'H'. If any objections against this char, please let me know.

- will we need more options for this later?
We might need to have more values for this option later, e.g. we might want to have an option to hide only the packet statistics, showing only the number of packets and the running time.

So we might have:
-H dialog (to hide the whole dialog)
-H counter (to hide only the packet counters)

Is it possible for getopt to optionally have "-H" and "-H dialog" (with and without additional arguments) decoded?

We might also need a preference setting for this option, so the user don't have to select this again, anytime Ethereal is restarted.

Any comments?

Regards, ULFL