Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: [Ethereal-cvs] cvs commit: ethereal/gtk file_dlg.c

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 10:15:09 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 05:48:06AM -0500, Ulf Lamping wrote:
 Modified files:
gtk file_dlg.c Log:
 add preview information to the open and merge dialog boxes

Note that for a *really* large file it can take a non-trivial amount of
time to compute the preview information, as it has to read the entire
capture.
I agree.

I think we have the following options on this:

- a progressbar indicating the preview progress, but I don't like this
- cancelling preview after some amount of packets (e.g. 10000), but this will be dependant on the machines speed - cancelling preview after some amount of time (e.g. two seconds), I would prefer this approach

Cancelling doesn't mean that no info can be shown, as we can still show something like this anyway:
Filename: hello.cap
Format: libpcap
Size: 15242422 bytes
Packets: > 1523
First: 2004-04-13 13:31:14
Elapsed: unknown

Any comments?

BTW: thanks Guy for your efforts getting my sources compile without warnings on GCC, "sometimes" MSVC can be annoying ;-)

Regards, ULFL