Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] H.225 problem, and running under gdb

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:49:40 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:

Compiling without optimization might get rid of the
instruction-scheduling pass, and make single-stepping behave a bit more
as one would expect.

I go through the Makefiles (or the one(s) relevant to the code I'm working on, anyway) and remove -O2 from CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS. If there's a neater way, I didn't find it after a brief look.

Incidentally, is this a bug or deficiency in the make process? CFLAGS contains everything included in CPPFLAGS (CPPFLAGS duplicates values in CFLAGS), so CPPFLAGS would seem to be redundant. I haven't been able to determine the official purpose of CPPFLAGS after a fairly extensive search, and the best I've come up with is that the default value is null and the rest is "convention". I suggest the value in Ethereal for CPPFLAGS should be null.

Graeme Hewson