Ethereal-dev: RE: [ethereal-dev] Help needed to add new file format decoding ca pabi lities to

From: "Yann Samama" <ysamama@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:58:39 +0200
Title: RE: [ethereal-dev] Help needed to add new file format decoding capabi lities to Ethereal

Guy and all,

To answer your question : "non-contiguous" in what sense ?

The file format I am working on has a non-trivial internal organisation.
The file is divided into fixed-size "blocks" (composed of a block header and block data) and further divided into packets, composed of packets headers and the actual data frame.

The fun part is that a packet can be splitted on two blocks.

Maybe a short scheme will help :

FILE header
BLOCK 0 header
BLOCK 0 data
  pkt header 0
  pkt data   0
  pkt header 1
  pkt data   1
  pkt header 2
  pkt data   2  (not complete)
BLOCK 1 header
BLOCK 1 data
  pkt data   2  (continued)
  pkt header 3
  pkt data   3
  pkt header 4
  pkt data   4

So is it possible to have this properly working with the "read" function ?

Thx

Yann.