Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Plugins compatibility with new version of Ethereal

From: "Guy Harris" <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 18:37:55 -0700 (PDT)
Gilles Galipeau said:
> I want to use the most up to date version of Ethereal, can I re-use a dll
> built against an older version of Ethereal?
> E.g.: I have built the dll against Ethereal version 0.9.11 and I want to
> use this dll against the latest version of Ethereal (0.10.4)?

No.  We don't guarantee binary compatibility for plugins; you'd have to
rebuild the plugin, as there have probably been changes to the ABIs for
various routines inside Ethereal, or to data structures used in
dissectors, or (I'm assuming that you're running on Windows, as you
referred to them as "dll"s) to the data structure used to supply to
plugins pointers to routines.