Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] make rpm-package problems

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 20:09:27 -0400
I have experienced several problems with trying to build the ethereal rpms
on my RedHat 9 system.  At first, I ran configure with the default settings
so that --enable-gtk2 was not set.  I ran into the same problem as "Daniel"
did (See May '04 RedHat make rpm-package post), namely the following:
-----
RPM build errors:
    File not found by glob: /tmp/ethereal-0.10.4-root/usr/lib/libwiretap.so*
    File not found by glob:
/tmp/ethereal-0.10.4-root/usr/lib/libethereal.so*
make: *** [rpm-package] Error 1
-----

I hacked the ethereal.spec.in file and was able to generate an rpm; however
it did not work when I tried to install it on another machine.  BTW: The
hacks I added were the following:
-----
Added usr/lib to the following line:
	mkdir -p
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/{etc,usr/X11R6/bin,usr/X11R6/man/man1,usr/bin,usr/lib,usr/ma
n/man1}
Added the following 2 lines after this one: "cp sunping.xml
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/etc"
	cp wiretap/.libs/libwiretap.so* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/lib
	cp epan/.libs/libethereal.so* $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/lib
-----

I put aside things for awhile, but just upgraded the libraries so I can use
gtk2 now.  But now when I run "make rpm-package", I get the following error:

-----
menu.c:66:22: ethclist.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [menu.o] Error 1
-----

I believe that ethclist.c,.h should not be needed when USE_GTK2_TRUE is set,
which it now is since I modified the configure.in file to set
enable_gtk2=yes, then re-ran automake (which it seems you have to do since
"make rpm-package" runs "configure").

Does anyone have any advice on resolving these problems?
TIA,
Chris

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, retention, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message. Also, email is susceptible to data corruption, interception, tampering, unauthorized amendment and viruses. We only send and receive emails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, tampering, amendment or viruses or any consequence thereof.