Ethereal-dev: RE: [Ethereal-dev] protocol handoff still confusing / README.deve loper out of d

From: Biot Olivier <Olivier.Biot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:51:01 +0200
|From: Ulf Lamping
|
|Hi List!
|
|I've looked at the README.developer file to understand, how to call a
|subdissector from another one.

[snip]

|The only thing still missing in my understanding is the data_handle in
|the call to call_dissector(). At various places I've found:
|
|data_handle = find_dissector("data");
|
|but what's the use of this "data"?

If your dissector tries to hand off data to a subdissector, it will first
try to see whether a subdissector was found. If not, the protocol dissector
may decide to render this data (for which no dissector was found) as pure
"data". You need to look up this handle in your handoff routine if you call
the "data" dissector from its handle in your dissector.

Regards,

Olivier