Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] RTP Analysis - linking back to setup traffic?

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:38:45 +0200
Martin Mathieson wrote:
> I'm thinking about making it easier to follow back from RTP streams to the
> call control packets that created the conversations.  There are at least 3
> different places in Ethereal where RTP conversations are created.
>
> As a quick and sad hack, I:
> - modified packet-sdp.c so that when it creates an RTP conversation, it
also
> stores the SDP frame number as conversation data
> - added another "Setup" column to the table in the RTP Streams window
which
> looks up the conversation when the row is first added and puts the frame
> number into the new column
> - may add a button (to the streams and analysis windows) that can jump
> straight to the setup frame of the selected stream (if known)
>
> This is already quite useful to me.
>
> Some questions:
> - Is it worth doing this nicely and submitting it ?

Yes, I think that it might be useful.

One alternative to having too much things added as columns in "RTP Streams"
window
could be to have a button "Stream Details" that shows different kind of
details
about the selected stream and/or to show some of the information about the
selected stream
just above the buttons.

> - Do you think it will add too much clutter to the RTP analysis windows ?
> - What other information might it be good to (optionally) show/store along
> with the RTP conversation ?

I'm not sure what I would want, but I have been thinking that it could be
good to have e.g. the
following:
-Frame number where conversation is setup (note that there migth actually be
both SDP and H.245 signalling for one RTP stream,
but this would be the packet that is setting up the conversation, i.e.
normally the first SDP/H.245/RTSP packet).
-First frame number for the RTP stream
-Last frame number for the RTP stream
-Time for first packet  (relative time from capture start???)
-Time for last packet (or maybe the duration of the stream)
and maybe some more things.

But not all of this information should be added as column I think, but
available as "Stream Details".
Maybe I would prefer to have start time and duration as column data, but
other things in "Stream Details".

This is just my preliminar comments. I will think about it a bit more.